Chapter Thirty-Nine- Fighting


~*~

"This certainly is not good."

Chichiri shivered as a draft of wind blew by, freezing him through flesh and bone. For a moment, he had trouble breathing. Then the wind died down a bit.

"Suzaku, must I recast every other moment?" he muttered at the sky. Then he gave a small sigh and put his fingers to his lips, closing his good eye. "Here goes..."

Doing his best to ignore the ice cold flakes of snow melting in the back of his shirt, not to mention the fact that he was standing knee-deep in snow and ice, he muttered a quick spell. Sudden warmth filled him, easing the biting cold, and he relaxed before trying to figure out which way he was going again.

The pulling sensation told him to head to his left now. Figuring that it had prevented his total descent into illness or insanity of any sort so far, it wouldn't hurt to continue following the sensation now.

Suddenly, the Bishonen sneezed. Then he rubbed his nose ruefully.

"Okay, maybe not every single illness no da. Just the important ones." /Anya-dono... I hope you're okay, and that I can reach you and the others soon. Either by random chance or by sensing where you are... Suzaku, if only I had my staff, or my hat or even my cloak, then I could channel my powers enough to get out of here!/

He sneezed again as the wind started up again, and gave a little shiver. Then he let his shoulders slump as he once again raised his fingers to his lips...

~*~

"Sano? Chiri? Kenshin?"

Anya stared up at the large screen in front of her incredulously. She wasn't sure whether she should believe what she was seeing or not at first. However, she slowly began to suspect that she knew why she felt like a part of her was missing at the moment.

The screen was split into three parts. The first had Kenshin on it. He was currently leaning against a tree, his eyes closed and his sword held tightly in one hand. When he opened his eyes, she could see a flash of gold before he turned away to wander through the woods (which, for some reason, looked very familiar).

The second screen had Chichiri on it. The monk was hatless and without a cloak, but thankfully he seemed to be doing all right. Well, if one would consider stumbling through an ice field in knee-deep snow all right. Every once in a while, the Bishonen would pause to put his fingers to his lips and mutter a spell. A red glow would surround him, and he would go on.

The final part of the screen had Sanosuke, Heero and Thatz on it, as well as a familiar trainer and his Washu on it. Thatz, Heero, and Washu were sitting on the ground. The trainer- Steve, she recalled- stood, pacing about.

As for Sanosuke...

"Gods," she breathed, and reached out to touch the screen.

Sanosuke almost looked worse than he had when Hiei had beaten him up. While he didn't seem to have any broken limbs, bruises were growing on his arms, hands, and face. He seemed to be breathing harder than Thatz and Heero were, though those two were panting like they'd just run a few miles without a rest. Her first Bishonen was lying on the ground, apparently unconscious.

"Sano... guys... this is crazy! This is SICK, that's what it is!" She stood up and leaned against the nearest wall. She banged her head against said wall once, twice, then three times before looking back at the screen.

/Damn it! I can't do this. I can't stand this. Kara's driving them insane. I can't let them go that way, but I can't let them be subjects to some sick experiment, either!/

Her eyes fell on the table, a few feet away. The table sat there, seemingly harmless, with her Bish-belt, Dex, and Bish-balls lying on top.

/Too bad they thought to check my pockets for everyone's Bish-balls before putting up that barrier. But of course, that would be so much easier.../ Anya sighed. /Well, there's nothing to do but try again./

She pushed herself off of the wall, and studied the table.

/So where did the barrier begin? Let's see.../

The trainer began to walk slowly towards the table. At first, she couldn't feel anything. Then, she felt a slight pressure against her eardrums, as though she was on an airplane. Then she felt like she was being pricked by a needle on both arms. She winced at that and continued to the spot right before her arm had begun to throb.

She paused here, staring at the table. /It's only seven feet away. This shouldn't be so hard. I can stand the discomfort so far.../ "OW!"

She pulled back as a sharp pain shot through her arms and legs. Then she stared incredulously at the table. Slowly, she put out one arm again. "HEY! OW!" She snatched said arm back, nursing it carefully while glaring at the table. "Damn."

/If only I had something to use for reaching over there to knock the things off the table. Then I could probably get to them while minimizing my own pain... hopefully... I would just try to run in there, but Kara did say it could kill me. And as doubtful as I am of her advice these days, I'd rather not run the risk./

Anya glanced around the barren room. /Now what can I use...? Maybe my clothing? Nah. Um... I need something solid but long... Long and solid... Hmm./

Her eyes fell on the large screen, and she gave a grim smile before clenching her fists.

~*~

"Hmmm..."

Washu paused for a moment, considering the laptop in front of her for a long moment. Then, she typed something with an added flourish to the end as she hit the confirm key. After another long moment, she grinned and punched the air with one fist. "Yosh! I got the location!"

"Where?" Heero asked quietly.

"Whoa, man. It's hundreds of miles away from here. It's amazing that your trainer only got there in a matter of seconds instead of minutes. Then again, there are black markets and such where people are beginning to deal in teleporters and the likes for human beings." Washu nodded at this.

Steve looked over his Bishoujo's shoulder and nodded in approval. "Good job, Washu."

"Hai. Arigatou, Washu-san," Heero said.

Washu smiled at him. "You're welcome. There's just one favor I must ask of you, now that I'm doing this for you."

Heero instantly became wary. "What?"

Washu ^_^ed. "Will you call me Washu-chan?"

Steve and Thatz fell over, while Heero sweat-dropped. "Ano..."

Sano gave a little groan and twitched before returning to unconsciousness.

"He will, he will," Steve said, rubbing the back of his head. "I'm sure."

"Great! Moving on." Washu regained her serious expression. "Your trainer is located in a mountain cave in the middle of the second largest mountain range there is here. At least, the second largest for now. You never know when new things pop up around here, after all... huh."

"Huh what?" Steve asked.

"Looks like there are a few helicopters and such flying around the place." Washu typed something, then smiled. "Ah, human police. My guess is they're searching for this kidnapper. She must be a very busy woman to have so many people looking for her and the kidnapped at once!"

"All the better." Heero glanced at the laptop. "We must now figure out a plan for retrieving our trainer."

There was a long silence. Then Steve snapped his fingers. "Ah! I know who can help you all! Skuld's her name, and she's one of my other Bishoujo! She could teleport you anywhere you'd want to go! Yup!" Steve nodded at that.

"Really?" Thatz asked.

"Yes."

"Though... Ano, Steve..." Washu sweat-dropped.

"What?"

"What about this morning...?"

Heero blinked. "Morning?"

Steve coughed. "Oh yes, that."

"Yes, that," Washu agreed. "She may still be... well..."

"I know. But then again... I don't know any other Bishies that could teleport them, and some machine won't get them there no matter how fast it is."

Washu nodded, looking a bit sad. "I'm sorry I can't help on that scale, Steve. If only you'd caught one of my cousins, too..."

"And have TWO Washu-chans to deal with? I think one's enough for now," Steve said.

Washu grinned.

"So where is this Skuld of yours? Let her out already!" Thatz said, seemingly oblivious to the entire past conversation.

"Ano... she's back in our hotel room, a few blocks from here," Steve said, giving a little cough. "Why don't we head over there and grab her, then she can teleport you?"

"Great!" Thatz said, and stood up. Heero slowly followed Thatz's lead, pulling Sanosuke up with him.

Sano gave a groan, and opened his eyes. Washu and the others recoiled slightly; those eyes were bloodshot, and none too calm.

"Anya?" he whispered. "Where'ya? Feel sick... might sick... haha.... Yea, hahaha... Anya, where'd ya go?"

"We need to hurry, in case you didn't notice," Washu said quietly to Steve. Her trainer nodded and gestured down the hallway.

"The closest exit is this way. Thankfully, we won't have to go too far to get to Skuld."

"And hopefully, it won't take too long for Skuld to agree to help us out," Washu said. "Come on, let's hurry. You two seem sane enough; carry your Sanosuke friend there for us."

Thatz looked a little uncertain at that, as he suddenly felt a pang of need to go in the opposite direction. However, he swallowed and nodded, knowing that he wouldn't have to put up with it for much longer. He moved to help Sanosuke to his feet.

Sanosuke, however, seemed to think that the floor was a nice place to be. His head lolling, he muttered something that made Thatz turn red before sliding back onto the ground.

Washu sighed. "Oh for crying out loud! Drag him if you have to!" With that, she and Steve started off. Thatz followed them, dragging Sano by one foot. Then he stopped after a few steps and turned back, staring at where he'd been.

Trainer and Bishoujo stopped when they realized they weren't being followed, and turned to see Heero remaining where he was, staring off in another direction. "Heero? What is it?" Steve asked.

"Anya."

"I know. She's very far away, but-"

"She's that way." Heero pointed in the opposite direction from where they had been headed.

"I know, but we need to go this way." Steve pointed in the correct direction.

Heero shook his head, suddenly looking very confused. "But she's this way," he said, continuing to point.

Thatz slowly nodded. "Yeah. We need to go that way," he said, walking towards Heero.

"Anya's that way," Heero repeated.

Washu threw up her hands. "Great! Now THEY'RE getting worse."

Sano "Blagh"-ed and and coughed before muttering and laughing at something he had said.

"Not good," Steve said. "Okay, fine. I'll go get her. Washu, you stay here."

"Are you kidding, you need protection!" Washu said, glaring at her trainer. "Especially after that wise crack you made this morning. I'm surprised you got outta there alive! Hell, I'm surprised the world's not been destroyed yet!"

Steve visibly paled, but shook his head. "I'm going. Washu, keep an eye on them. Try and keep them all together and in one place. It slows their madness or dying."

She sighed, frowning, and crossed her arms. "All right, Steve. Hurry back, and don't get yourself harmed. Okay?"

"I promise." With that, he ran off.

Washu hung her head for a moment, then turned around to take charge of the situation.

She blinked.

Heero was gone.

"DAMN it! Where is he?!" Gaining a sudden super strength, she grabbed a stumbling Thatz by the ear, and Sano by a leg. Then she proceeded to haul them through the hallways, searching for where Heero could have gone.

~*~

In the shadows, a slim, tall figure observed all that was happening with keen, sharp eyes. Her sandals dangled from one hand, while her other hand went to her medicine pouch. Eyes narrowing when she spotted the Sanosuke, she realized that it was now time to make a decision.

Should she stay in hiding, or help those who obviously needed it?

The needs of a Bishoujo versus the needs of others... A doctor's constant dilemma...

She sighed, and tossed her long hair over one shoulder. Well, they were bound to find her anyway. There had already been some close calls. With any luck, she could be in and out of sight before that trainer returned...

With that thought, she began to trail after the Washu...

And that Sanosuke...

~*~

((This next part is dedicated to a certain Tomo-no-Kakaka for helping me come up with this idea. ^^; Enjoy.))

"Now, stay here and DON'T destroy anything," Paul told Excel sternly. "If I see you've so much as messed up the covers on the bed, you will NEVER get to see Iilpallazo-sama. Got it?"

Excel's eyes became big and watery. "Hai, I understand completely! I will not harm a hair on a head in here! Though my head will be the only one in here and therefore I will only be able to hurt myself, which I would never do anyway unless of course Iilpallazo-sama ordered it! Oh, Iilpallazo-sama..."

Paul sighed. "You're being annoying. Which means I need another sugar refuel. Now, not a SINGLE thing destroyed. Got it? Come on, Raistlin." With that, he turned and left, with his mage Bishonen following.

Excel waved. "Okay, Paul! I shall wait until your return, then maybe we can go see my Iilpallazo-sama! Until then... perhaps I should see what is going on in the world. Then perhaps I can report more corruption to the Iilpallazo Paul knows and I will soon meet!" Her watery eyes became starry as she sighed in anticipation. "Hai, that's what I'll do!" With that, she grabbed the remote control and began to flip through channels.

"Bah, news... news... Trigun... huh, nothing new to report, at least no new corruption. Is our ACROSS team really being that effective? What a thought!" Suddenly she stopped. "Eh?" She clicked back a few channels.

She stared. Then she leaped for the TV. "IILPALLAZO-SAMA!"

THUD.

Long silence.

Then, there was a long "Squeeeeaaaak" as Excel slid from the TV to the ground.

She blinked, rubbing a huge new sore on her head. Then she looked at the TV again. "WAI! IIL-"

THUD.

Sliiiiiide.

"IILPALLA-"

THUD.

Sliiiiiiide.

Excel moaned as she pulled herself away from the TV for the third time. Then she blinked and looked at the TV.

"What the-?!"

Another Excel stood on the screen now, latched onto Iilpallazo-sama's arm. HER Iilpallazo-sama's arm. And that Excel was looking happier than anything.

Excel glared at the screen, a murderous streak growing within her. "Why that, how dare she touch my Iilpallazo-sama in such an inappropriate manner? Only I, Excel, Excel, can do that! For he is MY Iilpallazo-sama, no matter WHICH Iilpallazo-sama he is!"

With that, she grabbed a nearby lamp and went for the TV.

"IIL-"

THUD.

Sliiiiiide.

"Itai..."

~*~

Washu was going insane.

No, not from Steve being gone. He was only a couple blocks away at the moment, a distance any normal Bishie could stand.

What she COULDN'T stand were the Bishonen she was charged with watching.

She'd found Heero running repeatedly into a wall, repeating that Anya was through that wall and he had to get to her.

Washu had tried to be patient. She really had. But when he'd kept running into the wall, insisting that no, he could not POSSIBLY go any other way but through the wall to get to Anya, she had quickly lost all semblance of patience.

So when Thatz had suggested he use his Earth Dragon to blow the wall to smithereens, she had grabbed a frying pan and smacked him with it. She wasn't sure where the frying pan had come from, but she was glad it had decided to show up at that time.

So now she had two unconscious Bishonen, and one that was soon to be unconscious. She had tried grabbing him by the arm and dragging him away, but Heero had grabbed his gun and promised that if she touched him he'd shoot her head off. And since he was certain he was protecting his trainer, she knew he'd be able to go through with that promise.

The genius was getting ready to hit HIM with a frying pan when a hand touched her shoulder. "Allow me," said a cool voice.

Washu jumped and looked up, eyes wide and hands clenching around the frying pan. However, soon she dropped the pan when she saw the speaker. "Y-you!" she stammered.

The Bishoujo she was staring at smirked and opened her arms, as though ready to announce something important. "Why, yes, it's me." Then her eyes narrowed. "Now if you don't mind-" she proceeded to shoo Washu away from Heero and walk over to the three Bishonen.

"Megumi," Washu whispered, nodding.

Said Bishoujo flipped her long, dark hair back over her shoulder as she inspected the three. "I thought they were acting a little too oddly to be merely drunk or ill," she said. "The madness of a faraway trainer... what a cruel fate." She continued to watch Heero.

"With all due respect, Megumi," Washu said. "I know you're the best Bishoujo healer, not to mention the rarest, but what are you doing coming out into the open? If a trainer sees you they'll catch you!"

Megumi shook her head. "Tending to a patient in need is far more important than that. If I am captured, so be it." Now she turned to smirk at Washu. "As long as I am not captured by your trainer."

"What, why not?!" Washu asked, blinking.

"Why, because he wants to capture me, of course." Megumi put her hand up to her mouth and let loose a loud laugh that, while not as awful as that of Naga, was bad enough to make Washu cover her ears for a moment.

"Uh... I don't get your point, but fine," Washu said,lowering her hands cautiously. "Just... why are you going to tend to them, when there's no cure but getting the trainer and Bishies back together?"

"Trade secret. Gomen." With that, Megumi held out a hand imperiously to Washu. "The pan, please?"

"Sure..." Washu handed her the pan.

"Arigato." Megumi turned to hit Heero on the back of the head. The Bishonen slumped to the ground without a word.

"WHAT!? What are you doing, you idiot! He's suffered enough-" Washu stopped when an index finger was pressed against her lips.

"Shh. No harm is done if they sleep. Less pain this way. Now, if you'll excuse me." Megumi turned to unroll a number of sleeping mats. Then she began to push Sanosuke onto one of them.

Shaking her head, Washu decided to help her out.

After a short while, all three Bishonen lay sleeping on mats. The two Bishoujo stood back to observe their prowess; Heero and Thatz seemed to be peaceful at the moment. However, Sano was twitching and muttering.

"This trainer of theirs is either very far away or very close to them," Megumi observed.

"Both," Washu said.

"Hmm." Megumi pulled out a bowl and grinder, then got a patch of leaves resembling those on oak trees into the bowl. She began to grind the leaves into a pale, thin paste.

"What's that?" Washu peered over Megumi's shoulder.

The Meiji Era Bishoujo smirked. "I said it's a trade secret. Now, if you were dear Ken-sama, then I may consider telling it to you... Ohohohohoho!"

Washu winced. "How glad am I to be a Bishoujo..."

"Anyway, this should ease their suffering for a short period. They will sleep, and they will fight the madness with this."

"Great! Hopefully Steve'll get back here soon with Skuld, then we'll fix this whole thing. Damn, that trainer's gonna owe me a heck of a lot, me spending all this time helping the sick an' all. I ain't no doctor!" Washu said, smiling.

"I noticed," Megumi said dryly. "Though I did notice you know how to use a doctor's greatest tool quite proficiently."

Washu blinked. "Eh? My laptop?"

"Not that hunk of metal! The pan! How do you think doctors calm their patients?" Megumi began to laugh again.

Washu sighed and began to look for ear muffs. /I really hope Steve comes back. Preferably in one piece.../

~*~

Kaoru looked up from her meditation to see a Kenshin making his way through the trees. She blinked in confusion; she hadn't been expecting anyone to show up that day. Then her eyes narrowed, and her hand went to her wooden sword which lay to one side. /A troublemaker? He looks drunk.../

Indeed, the figure was weaving around, just barely missing the trees. His eyes, once she could get a glimpse of them, were yellow, which raised the feeling that something was wrong with this picture.

Then Kaoru gasped. /That's not just any Kenshin, that's-/ "Ken-chan!" she cried gleefully, bounding off of the porch towards her son. "Ken-chan, I've been so worried since your father said you were captured..."

She went up to hug, then scold her son. But she had to pause just a couple feet away from him to make sure he WAS her son.

"Kaoru-dono?" her husband asked, peeking out the door. He was clad in his apron, and was holding onto a fish. "What is it?"

"Ken-chan's home!" she said. She turned to smile at her husband. "And look, he's so much bigger! I'm so proud! But you, mister-" she whirled around to scold her son now. "Coming home drunk, what's this about-"

She stopped when she finally got a good look at her son, who now looked like he was about to be very sick.

"Kaoru-dono?" The apron and fish disappeared instantly as Kaoru's husband hurried to her side, touching her arms gently. "What is it?"

"He's... he's not... something's wrong," Kaoru whispered, clutching back at her husband uncertainly. "His eyes, Kenshin. They're wrong. Even you don't look like that in Battousai mode..."

Suddenly, Ken-chan gave a groan that sounded like, "Mother..." before he dropped to one side. And didn't get up.

Kaoru screamed.

~*~